Monday, December 30, 2013

6 Ingredient Granola Bars

Fancy granola bar! (it's not that big-- it's on a small plate)

I realized a few weeks ago that Jon and I had pretty much cut out all super-processed foods out of our daily diet except for one thing: granola bars. And we ate a TON of them. We started buying them by the big box (about once a week, sometimes more), and it began to worry me. I craved them like no other food, and their addicting quality was no doubt due to the fact that they had *tons* of sugar and salt in them. They were practically candy with little nutritional value. 

Their addicting quality plus the fact that I couldn't pronounce half of the ingredients, PLUS their added garbage because they were individually packaged made me want to start making my own bars. I researched granola bars on Pinterest, wanting to find a healthy, easy, and simple alternative that didn't have any crazy ingredients, and this recipe has been the best one yet!

The no-frills ingredients!

This is typically an easy recipe if I didn't spill oats!

Or spill honey on my sock! Gosh!

The "hardest" part about this is melting the coconut oil, and it's really not hard at all.

Mix it up sloooowly!

Pack that shit down, freeze, and done!

Ingredients

4 Cups Oats (Gluten-free if needed)
2 Cups Brown Crisp/Puff Cereal (Rice Crispies should work, too)
1/2 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
1 Cup Nut/Seed Butter (I used peanut)
1/2 Cup Honey (or Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar) 
3 - 4 Tablespoons of Flax or Chia Seeds (Optional)

Line a 9x13 pan with tin foil or parchment paper and grease it (I just used sunflower seed oil). 

In a large bowl mix in all the ingredients. If it's not sticking all together, add a little extra honey. 

Press granola mixture into the prepared pan, and flatten with a potato masher. Throw it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then cut your pieces (as big or as little as you'd like). Store the bars in the fridge, covered. 

Voila! Done!

Recipe via Yummy Mummy Kitchen

4 comments:

  1. Dude, you could drizzle dark chocolate on that ish and have it as a desert or a treat or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate - The original recipe calls for chocolate drizzle but I ate all of the chocolate chips yesterday : (

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete