Thursday, September 5, 2013

Oscar de la Renta


Once upon a time ago in a land far, far away, I used to order Vogue magazine. Yes. I paid $25 a year to be advertised products I could or would never afford and loved flipping through the objectified ads of women in vulnerable, sexualized positions, wearing tons of make up and with crazy hair. I was an unaware, uneducated 20 year old and I loved it. 

Now, most of this stuff I thought looked down right crazy and knew it was absolutely ridiculous to spend $400 on a t-shirt, but Oscar de la Renta always stuck out to me. Every ad that I saw, every photo where some celebrity was wearing something by him, I adored. Something so simple, gorgeous, well-done, classy, vintage, and beautiful was put into so many of his clothes, and I always felt like if I somehow stumbled upon that type of money and mentality where I could justify spending $400 on a t-shirt, that I would buy his stuff. Since that time will never come, I will oftentimes look to de la Renta for inspiration and just droll over his clothes.





Looking at these photos and noticing the drastic, unhealthy standards of beauty these models are setting forth, I just want to emphasize that this is not a post supporting the high fashion industry's morals and unrealistic beliefs. I do not condone women being ridiculed for their weight (be that too skinny or too heavy), starved to be a certain weight, told they are overweight, told they are ugly, too short, too tall, feet too big, skin not white enough, etc. I simply enjoy the colors, cuts, lengths, patterns, and textures of these over priced clothes.



No comments:

Post a Comment