Saturday, January 31, 2015

2015 Itinerary

Yes, I should be doing a post about my sister Kate's visit, but I'm still recuperating from my bout of sadness after she left. I'll post about her and pics from the trip soon, I promise!

To keep me in higher spirits, I've been daydreaming a lot about where I'd like to go this year and next year. A lot of it is wishful thinking, but I hope some of these trips actually pan out. Among many others, there are three trips this year that I'm sincerely hoping to initiate-- all in preparation for a larger trip for next year! And here they are:

Image via USA Today

Image via Fragments

1) A northern Californian road trip! I have many friends who have recently (or not so recently) moved to the Bay area, and I hope that Jon and I can scoot our way down that lovely coast again. I'd like to do San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Monterey and then make our way over to Pinnacles National Park (and hopefully drag a friend or six!). My ideal time frame for this trip would be May for an extended birthday celebration but we shall see! 


2) Joffre Lakes Provincial Park on the mainland in BC. My friend and I had two planned and failed trips out there (which thankfully lead to our wonderful Portland trip!), and I now have a burning motivation to see those teal lakes and snowy mountains this year. I believe it's a two night back packing trip where you hit up the two glacier run-off lakes each day. I've never seen such pristine water in my life, and am excited at the possibility! I'd like to do this soon, after the snow melts. Thinking mid-summer.


3) Mt. Albert Edward in Strathcona Provincial Park. While I've hiked several mountains, this, I believe, would be my first ascent on a *real* mountain. You know, one with snow and glaciers at the top and is part of a real mountain range. The views from the top are supposed to be lovely, and while the hike won't be easy, I hear it's a great first ascent for backpackers. So stoked! Thinking late summer.

Am I being overly ambitious for choosing all three? Maybe. Do I care? Nope. Joffre Lakes and Mt. Albert Edward could be done during long weekends, and the Californian trip would be a 7 - 10 day adventure. I feel like this is do-able. Woot!

5 comments:

  1. "Yes, I should be doing a post about my sister Kate's visit, but I'm still recuperating from my bout of sadness after she left." D= So I take it your sadness was delayed unlike mine which was messy and embarrassing in a public place where people stared at my red puffy eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was efficient; concise. Ugly crying followed by sobs and public shame. Mine's drawn out and slow. General sadness which left me sleepless a few nights, generally unmotivated, and sighing a lot. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I randomly came up your blog while looking up images of art nouveau and got sucked in and just read the whole thing from the beginning. I'd never really heard of Victoria before and now it's definitely on my list of places to check out. I've often thought about moving to Washington or Oregon, but didn't realize that such amazing landscape existed right above the border. Your photos and stories have really make it seem like a wonderful place. I wish you and your husband well out there. I'm also a vegetarian so I plan to try some of your recipes, too! :) -Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! I always just assumed only my family members were reading the blog, but it seems like my Art Nouveau post (according to blogspot) is getting a lot of hits via Google images. Be sure to check out the original blogs where I borrowed the recipes if you especially like one-- those blogs are my go-tos! Vancouver Island is quite wonderfully beautiful and we love it out here, but we'll be switching things up soon-- keep checking in for some updates! : )

      Delete
  3. Yes I am stalking your blog right now. But more importantly I know how one of these trips can happen!! Sometime in the next few months I am doing a road trip all the way up the 1 (from Los Angeles to Seattle) to pick up my stuff that is still in Washington. You should fly down and drive up -at least part-way- with us because I want to spend some extra good time in the Bay Area. Okay cool let's chat about this when we FaceTime next.

    ReplyDelete