Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Exploring the Island (part II)

A view of the Vancouver Island Ranges on a Tofino dock

I've been spending the last few weeks getting to know the island a bit more intimately. I've seen the salmon spawn again, played on the abandoned railroad tracks of the island, travelled to the Gulf Island called Salt Spring, and took a five hour road trip up and across to Tofino. I'm growing every day in my love for this place, and I'm slowly meeting more interesting people to add to my growing perspective of the world.

Abandoned railroad tracks of Vancouver Island. No rail system is in place today.

What I love so much about this relatively small island is its diversity. I can go up a fairly easy mountain hike, to finding star fish by the sea, to petting the moss on a 800 year old tree, to traversing through temperate rain forest, to gazing at snow peaked mountains, all within a fairly reachable distance of one another. I may be romanticizing the place because I just moved here (actually, I'm certain that I am), but there really is a lot to do here if you enjoy the outdoors. Jon surfed for the first time while we were in Tofino and I've been hiking more than ever. As of right now, despite being underemployed, I couldn't imagine a better place for us to be. 

The 155 foot tall Little Niagara Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park

Sail boats on the way to Salt Spring Island

One of the many tiny vineyards on Salt Spring Island

Surfers in Tofino

Starfish on a Tofino beach

"The Big Tree": Over 800 years old, 250 feet tall, and 30 feet round.

Jon hiding away on a fallen tree

Glacier run-off pool. I've never seen water so clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment