Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ode to: New Jersey

Sunset at Stone Harbor

I grew up in a Philly suburb in New Jersey, along the Delaware River, and while I'm a girl from New Jersey, I'm not a Jersey Girl. When I was about 21 I was insecure and depressed, and I went through a phase where I thought I wanted to be a Jersey Girl (fake nails, flat ironed blonde hair, tanning salons, pink spaghetti strap tank tops...), but soon snapped out of it and reverted back to my bohemian-esque self.

But I do love New Jersey. I enjoy some of the trashiness (in an ironic sort of way), I love going down the shore, and the Pine Barrens fascinate me. It was great having two major cities close to me, and I have a lot of close friends who live in New Jersey. While Jersey gets a bad reputation for the Sea Side lurkers (in high school we always called it "Sleaze Side"), there are a lot of great places for natural beauty and genuine people.

But this is all about Southern/Central Jersey. I have no idea what they do up in Northern Jerz.

Burlington Island

Jon on Burlington Island


Stone Harbor

Wildwood

Sunrise at the Jersey Shore

Me at Wildwood Crest

Backpacking with Friends in Wharton State Forest

Me at Grounds for Sculpture


No comments:

Post a Comment